Friday, May 4, 2012

It's Tulip Time!

It is spring here in the Pacific Northwest (at least I try to tell myself it is spring, it has been so cool and damp), and the tulips in my garden are in bloom! So I thought I would dedicate this post to the tulip, a popular motif for women throughout the decades. Women in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s and beyond loved to adorn their dresses, skirts, and aprons with applique tulips, and used multiple methods to decorate household linens with tulip motifs. :)

1940s Tulip-Adorned Frock

1950s Skirt 

 1950s Apron (note the bib itself is tulip-shaped)

1960s Dress
Lovely tulips decorated household linens using colorful embroidery, and even crocheted edgings.





And now, for the real thing - a few tulips from my garden (on a grey, rainy day in Seattle). :)




No comments:

Post a Comment